dumb thing that i think is funny
Before I began writing this blog post, I spent some time trying to think about what I think is “funny”. My initial thought was when something unexpected happens. The first few jokes I’ve heard were structured as questions such as “What do you call a…?” or had me asking the question (knock knock jokes). I quickly realized the flaws in this because lots of unexpected things can happen without being funny (an athlete breaking a world record, a jump scare, finding out you have a quiz when you didn’t study, and more). The more I thought about it, the more I realized that humor, something I’ve taken for granted my entire life, is an intricate concept to define. Since I don’t think I can define my humor, I’ll use this blog to explain why I find a specific thing funny.
I’ve been seeing a lot of song parodies while I doom scroll, and I think I laugh at them because of two main things: absurdness and cleverness. There is no doubt that many of the people making these parodies are very talented musicians, but something about them using their skill to create and sing a brain rotted version of the song makes no sense. At the same time though, the way they can take random online terms and shove them into a song that is very coherent is very admirable to me. It is simultaneously dumb and amazing how they can belt out notes while saying ridiculous sentences with a straight face.
Comments
Post a Comment